Acumen Pakistan Portfolio Manager
Acumen Pakistan seeks an experienced Portfolio Manager to help build and manage our world-class investment portfolio of game-changing enterprises in Pakistan that impact the poor.
Acumen started as an idea. Twelve years later we have a proven model that combines the best of charity and investing to change the way the world tackles poverty.
Acumen is a non-profit venture fund with a vision to help build a world beyond poverty through investing in companies that deliver critical goods and services in water, health, housing, energy, agriculture, and education; leaders who are paving the way for new approaches to fighting poverty; and the spread of ideas that will give the world the knowledge and the understanding to change how the world tackles poverty.
Passion, entrepreneurial spirit, and commitment to tackling the issue of global poverty are just a few of the things that the staff at Acumen have in common. What we aim to accomplish with our work is no easy task, and we need dedicated, high-calibre people to reach our goals.
Acumen has invested more than $83 million of patient capital in more than 75 social enterprises in South Asia, East Africa and West Africa that have collectively served more than 100 million customers. We have teams on the ground in India, Pakistan, Kenya, Ghana, and New York, and we aim to build strong local structures that are deeply interconnected to the global organization through shared goals.
Acumen has been investing in Pakistan since 2002 and established Acumen Pakistan in 2006, incorporated under Section 42 of the Companies Ordinance 1984. We currently have over $13 million in committed investments in Pakistan and an additional $6 million in pipeline investments currently in various stages of due diligence. The office is staffed with a full-time team of professionals from diverse backgrounds including investment banking, venture capital, management consulting, social enterprise, law, and accounting. We have a strong Advisory Board and partner community consisting of senior business leaders. The Pakistan team is supported by Acumen's global portfolio team as well as business and development professionals in Pakistan who provide investment management advice through the year.
Acumen Pakistan is well-resourced, has a strong foundation, and is ready to take our mission to the next level. Core to our success is the ability to identify, resource, and build a world class portfolio that demonstrates the power of patient capital to solve the problems of poverty in Pakistan and the world more broadly. Equally important is to leverage our experience into insights that compel this ecosystem of funders, operators, and policy makers to catalyze a broader paradigm shift in the battle against poverty.
As the lead Pakistan Portfolio Manager, you will have overall responsibility for the portfolio team based in the Acumen Karachi office. You will lead in the success, development and impact of Pakistan’s portfolio in Financial Services, Housing and Education. As part of your core function, you will provide management support to existing portfolio companies by building relationships, identifying key challenges and mobilizing resources; and grow our portfolio by identifying and developing a strong pipeline of investment opportunities. In addition you will play a critical role shaping Acumen’s portfolio strategy, management process, team and influence in Pakistan. This position reports to the Pakistan Director.
More specifically, you will:
- Identify, cultivate and execute a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor
- Build an exhaustive network of relationships (including corporate, entrepreneur, NGO, academic, investor, advisory) to identify new pipeline opportunities for Acumen
- Develop attractive opportunities by building relationships with promoters; conducting evaluations and analyses; thorough due diligence; and structure and execute investments
- Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee, and Board of Directors
- Work on identification and development of promising deal flow (pipeline development)
- Assess opportunities, perform and coordinate due diligence process
- Structure investments in close cooperation with global CIO’s office
- Prepare investment proposals for decision making by Investment Committee
- Actively manage investments (monitor and provide support to investees)
- Represent Acumen on investee companies board meetings and other meetings (as required)
- Report to Country Director on development and performance of Pakistan portfolio
- Manage the Acumen Pakistan portfolio team in Karachi, comprised of sector specific portfolio managers, senior portfolio associates, and associates
- Maintain and expand network of co-investors and other relevant parties and stakeholders
- Contribute to the strategic development of Acumen’s investment portfolio
- Maintain and develop close cooperation with Portfolio Managers in other Regional Offices
- Represent Acumen in the regional impact investment networks and other forums.
Qualifications & Characteristics
Candidates for the Manager role should have a passionate commitment to Acumen's mission of solving the toughest problems of poverty, a strong entrepreneurial spirit and excellent attention to detail. Strong candidates will have an interest in both private for-profit and not-for-profit opportunities and will bring passion for international development, either through academic study or field experience.
In addition to a minimum bachelor’s (preferably master’s) degree, she or he should also possess:
- Ideally be familiar with the social enterprise sector and leadership development programs
- Ideal candidates will demonstrate accomplishment through some of the following experiences:
- 5-7 years of principal investing experience, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies. Understanding of early stage businesses and entrepreneurs is a plus.
- 5-7 years of management consulting or operational experience with a proven track record of delivering operational and management support to companies or internal units
- Significant hands on investment management or other relevant experience
- Strong financial (modeling) and business analysis skills
- Excellent intuition for entrepreneurial and social aspects of businesses
- Familiarity and knowledge of investment related legal aspects
- A result-oriented, open and entrepreneurial work attitude
- Demonstrated management skills, with an ability to coach, develop and inspire team members
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Fluent in English, both orally and in writing
- Affinity with the values and mission of Acumen
- Willingness to travel within the region on a regular basis
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
- Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
- Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
- Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Good understanding of financial concepts and our investing model
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Effectively collaborates with and across teams, seeks and provides constructive feedback
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.
Frequent travel will be required within Pakistan.
Please apply online at: http://acumen.org/get-involved/work-with-us/
The deadline for this position is April 15, 2014 at 11:59pm PST